Skip to main content

The struggles of planning

I am now a few weeks into the group project, and it is time for an update. Specifically, I will talk about news about the game, as well as the struggles of coordinating a team (even a team of just four people).

Devlog

Starting with updates about the game. Being about two weeks into development, I would say that progress is going about as expected. Learning a new game engine is of course a pretty big task, but with the help of Google this didn't turn out to be a big problem. 

The game's main mechanic is the use of abilities. These are rather quick to implement, once the ground work has been laid. As of right now, there are 12 abilities, with hopefully more to come. 

I also worked on resolution scaling, which turned out to be way easier than explexted. Just changing the window size and setting the scaling mode to 2D was all that was needed for it to work. I did also have to adjust the values of all abilities, but that didn't take longer than 10 minutes, either.

Lastly, I got the games health display working. It may look very similar to Minecraft, and that's because it is very much inspired by it. There are full, half, empty, and locked hearts (not visible in this picture). I might talk more about the locked hearts in the future, but for now this will have to suffice.

 

Teamwork is hard

But not everything has been going this well. Especially the first few days we're incredibly hard. I am a perfectionist, so I wanted to ask my team what they thought about every single detail. The problem is that my team isn't exactly as enthusiastic as I am, so I only got a response after sending an angry message (To be fair, they were ignoring me).

We never asigned a project manager, so that role fell onto me, as I was the only one willing to step up to it. I don't like being manager, but someone has to do it, and if it there was no manager, there probably wouldn't be a lot of work being done.

But by now, the teamwork has inproved massively, and I am positive that it won't be a problem further into production.

The P in planning stands for pain

We had everything planned out perfectly.

OR SO WE THOUGHT

Turns out that having the level designer start after the gameplay is done doesn't actually work, because without any levels, how do you do enemy spawning? We only realized this once it became a problem, so for now I will just have to use white boxes to simulate an actual level and wait for the artist and level designer until I can implement the actual levels.

This is far from great, but I am hopeful that one or two levels will be done quickly, so I can start work with just a few levels, and implement the rest later. It also lead to me already getting behind schedule within the first days, causing not only a provisional extension of one week, but also zero testing being done. My workflow these past days was something along the lines of

Start work on new feature -> Does the game crash on startup? -> No? Perfect, to main it goes. -> Yes? Whelp, better abandon the feature before it takes too long.

Obviously I exaggerated a bit, but it isn't as far from the truth as I would have liked. As of writing, there are only four more days of development time planned for the basic gameplay loop, with a possible extension of 7 days. I will most definitely need those extra days, but I remain hopeful that I won't. Regardless, there is quite a bit more work to do before the game reaches a playable state.

By the next time I write a blog post, the game should be almost playable, with the only thing missing being more enemy types, more abilities, and a bit of polish.

I pray to the god of game dev that I can reach that goal, so I bid you goodbye for now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Project Dementia

It has been quite a while since I last wrote a blog post, but it is finally time for me to get back to the keyboard and start typing those fancy colorful lines of code. And I have a (in my opinion) huge announcement to make. I finally released my very first video game. Project Dementia has been in the works on and off for the last 3 months, and now it is finally time (link to download the game is at the bottom of this post).  So what is Project Dementia? Well I'm glad you asked. It is a small platformer game I made during my first semester at Edinburgh College. It isn't anything revolutionary, but it isn't half bad either if you ask me. You won't exactly have an award winning experience playing, but it definitively is one of the games ever. Is it good? You decide (and please leave a comment for what can be improved, I might make a full version if some people are interested). Generally, not much has changed since the announcment post. No new mechanics, just more environm

README

You might be wondering "What the hell did I just stumble upon?" And rightfully so.  So let me explain what this blog is.  I am a coder from Germany, who is currently attending the NC Games Development Course at Edinburgh College. In this blog, I will post updates on my college life and coding projects. Right now, I am working on my video game for the first semester at college. I have been programming for a few years now, and the development on the game is going smoothly. However, I have yet to decide what the game is going to be called. The game ...is a 2D platformer, with focus on... existing? It is my very first time making a game, so just producing something fun and engaging is the main goal of the game. The idea The player is a dementia patient, struggeling with their mental illness. Having become unaware of their surroundings, they travel through an empty world, running from their illness chasing after them. As you progress through the levels (There are only 5 planned as

A new project

It is time to start a new project. Not only so I have something to work on, but with another semester comes another project. This one is quite different though. Not only is it a group project, it is also a lot more free, but also professional than the previous one.  Not only are we required to have at least one meeting a week, but we also have free choice over game engine, genre, theme, you get the idea. The only thing we are required to include is some connection to the number ten. This project only started this week, so there isn't that much to talk about yet, but I'll explain what we've got so far. The group My group (which was assigned to me) consists of four people. We have been grouped up to fill out each others weaknesses, and so everyone can do what they are good at and what they enjoy. For example, coding is my specialty, so I am the main (or rather only) software engineer in my group. This means that I get free choice over the game engine and some other software.